The Whitsundays Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in The Whitsundays Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing whitsundays.guide for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in The Whitsundays for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in The Whitsundays?
Galleries, Museums and Historical Venues in and Around Whitsundays
Queensland, Australia boasts a rich cultural heritage, which can be discovered in the numerous galleries, museums, and historical venues scattered across the region. Here are some of the notable ones to visit in and around Whitsundays:
1) Whitsunday Regional Art Gallery - Located in the heart of the town of Bowen, this art gallery showcases local and national artists' works through exhibitions, workshops, and events. The gallery has a constantly changing display of artworks, including paintings, sculptures, and photographs.
2) Bowen Historical Museum - Nestled next to the Whitsunday Regional Art Gallery, the Bowen Historical Museum displays artifacts and photographs that illustrate the region's history from the 1800s onwards. Visitors can see a range of exhibits, including a restored 1933 Dodge fire engine, an old schoolroom, and a vintage printing press.
3) Bowen Museum and Historical Society - A stone’s throw from the Bowen Historical Museum, this site is housed in the Old Queens Beach State School building, and holds a collection of photos, memorabilia and artefacts that chronicle the town's rich history.
4) Airlie Beach Foreshore Markets - Conveniently located in town’s main street, this open-air market takes place every Saturday. Visitors can browse and purchase products that are locally made, such as art and crafts, accessories, and food items. The market also has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and is the perfect place to sample the local culture.
5) Proserpine Museum - This small museum offers a glimpse into the town’s history and development, with thousands of exhibits that date back to the 1800s. Visitors can explore the different display areas and learn about the sugar cane industry, copper mining, early settlement, and the stories of the township's founders.
6) Pioneer Valley Museum - One of the oldest museums in the region, the Pioneer Valley Museum is located in Mirani, around 30 minutes south-west of Mackay. The museum houses an impressive collection of farming tools, machinery, and other paraphernalia related to the region's agricultural past.
7) Artspace Mackay - About an hour south of Airlie Beach, in the city of Mackay, Artspace Mackay is a regional art gallery that showcases collections of curated contemporary Australian art. Visitors have the opportunity to see a range of exhibits, including paintings, ceramics, textiles, sculptures, and new media installations.
8) Mackay Museum - This small museum is dedicated to the people and events that have shaped Mackay's history. Visitors can explore the different displays, including the town's railway and mining heritage, as well as cultural exhibits such as natural history, Indigenous history, and military history.
9) Slade Point House Museum – Built in the early 1900s, the restored “Theissia” is a classic Queenslander style house located in Mackay.it is open for visit for those who are interested in investigating the life and times of Miss Daisy Cook, who was a prominent member of the Mackay community and lived in the house until the 1950s.
10) Daly Waters Historic Pub – Located in Daly Waters, this historic pub has been operating since 1930 and has welcomed visitors from all over the world. It is known for its quirky decorations, including bras hanging from the ceiling, as well as its chilled atmosphere and the gigantic outback BBQ feast that they usually serve. While not geographically part of the Whitsunday Region, it is worth a visit for those interested in exploring the historic venues that can be found in this part of the country.
the Whitsunday Region offers a plethora of galleries, museums, and historical venues that enable visitors to explore the rich cultural heritage of this beautiful part of Queensland, Australia. With so much to see and do in the area, visitors can plan and coordinate their itinerary according to their interests and preference.
The Whitsundays Galleries and Museums Articles